A week of work



We've had our heads inside kilns all week!




A big week of mould making, line carving, frit layering and hot sculpting in the kilns. 
I'm full of things I want to try in my own studio and have valued this time to learn more about achieving fine line and soft forms in glass. 

The process of carving into the mould and filling the carvings with powder and frit can be quite quick depending on the intricacies of the design - but this meant we could work through ideas pretty quickly. 

Flat moulds poured and drying in front of the furnace over night

I really enjoyed playing around with very simple lines and simple application of powder, just dusting it and scraping it around with cardboard. These pieces were also slumped slightly - while I don't like the vessel shape very much, the folds and thin edges are delicate and they catch the light quite nicely too. 






I also thought while in experimenting mode I'd play around with some bolder colours - not something I usually add to my work. The first I used cut out words compiled from the local paper just in an arrangement. Then I poured plaster over the words and the paper tracing is left in the plaster to then trace into. The mould cracked in the kiln but it was fun to try and I also enjoyed taking note of the varying fonts and how many different ones there were in the same paper. 







A few more colours and patterns 



The most exciting was reaching into kilns at top temperature to then sculpt and curve the pieces inside. The forms are supported by fibre blanket so that they hold their form as the kiln cools down. 
We all had a go over the week - a really interesting way of adding both controlled and free form shape to a piece. 

You can see a video of the sculpting on the last post. 


Anne also gave us demos on roll ups and collecting powder prints from the marver in the hotshop. Both things I'd like to try out a bit more of at home. 





I thought my most successful pieces from the class were the small still lives I made. I was able to get a really light line quality and soft colour - Ive previously experimented with mixed media still lives incorporating glass, found objects and fresh flowers so it was nice to look back into this a little. Again, a small side project id love to keep working with. 





And there was still some time to play around with the figure a bit ! Both using the softer hues I usually incorporate in my work as well as just lines and shading with powders. 





Layers and lines

White lines are in glass, shaded colours are water colour behind on paper. 

I thought the watercolour addition was a soft way of incorporating colour and paper so used it a couple of times - also in a small sketch of the little lybster houses. 




About to fly back from Lybster now, what a wonderful time it has been - I'll do one last post when I'm home with a few shots of other peoples work and some exploring from the class and wrap it up then! Bye! 

Comments

  1. Poder Aéreo é o site de defesa brasileiro e os nossos carros já estão com o IPVA 2019 e o DPVAT 2019 pagos e o Licenciamento anual em dia. E o nosso Flamengo continua perdendo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment